Cara Stone is among the nation’s leading deal firms for venture and angel capital deals. From Series Seed to IPO, Cara Stone works with some of the fastest growing companies and funds and negotiates against the nation’s top firms and venture capital groups. Check out some of our highlights below or request a full representative deal list.
Sample Growth Company Financing Transactions
- Since 2010, the firm has acted as counsel in approximately $1 billion worth of private equity, angel and venture capital transactions. Many of these deals have received national and international attention. Some of these include the following:
- Lead counsel in $10 million Series AA for company tracking $25,000,000 in revenue.
- Lead counsel for Federated Sample in a $2.8 Million Series A.
- Outside general counsel for consumer-facing social network and app.
- Lead Counsel on financings and outside general counsel for music learning app.
- Lead Counsel for adverCar in Series A Financing by top tier Silicon Valley VC, strategic investment by public company and outside general counsel services as the company scales its growth.
- Lead Counsel in Series A Financing with top industry leaders and early-stage investors for the “amazon.com of shipbuilding.”
- Lead Counsel in Series A closing for Bioceptive, a leading medical device technology company.
- Lead Counsel and outside general counsel to advanced polymer manufacturing technology company.
- Lead counsel on multiple financing transactions for Dinner Lab, Inc. General solicitation financing strategy was reviewed by CBS News.
- Lead Counsel and outside general counsel on $18 million financing transaction (debt, equity, tax credit and project finance) for food hub/aggregator and retail market for locally grown and sourced foods.
- Outside general counsel and lead counsel on financing transactions for CaliBurger, an international fast food company (funded by several institutions, including an affiliate of SoftBank). CaliBurger has been named as a #1 fast-casual in Hong Kong by Bloomberg Briefs.
Representative Merger & Acquisitions Transactions
- Waitr $300 million going public transaction
- $104 million acquisition of companies in technology space.
- Lead counsel to company in acquisition and financing transaction in biomass space.
- Lead counsel to serial acquirer of several companies in career website space.
- Representation of public company buyers in acquisitions of Silicon Valley based technology companies.
- Lead counsel to Silicon Valley based medical software company in merger.
- Lead counsel to acquisition target in B2B web platform space.
- Representation of gaming companies (public and private) in acquisition of video poker and other gaming assets.
- Representation of acquirer in acquisition of all membership interests in dog day care business.
- Lead counsel to joint venture party in B2B web platform space in business performance metrics tracking.
Private Equity and Fund Formation Experience
- $50 million financing of private company to finance acquisitions
- $42 million purchase of majority control of multi-state restaurant chain.
- $384 million financing of energy company by institutional investors.
- Representation of publicly traded investment company in regional banks Substantial fund formation experience (angel capital, venture capital, hedge fund and commodities trading) and familiarity with Investment Company Act of 1940, Investment Adviser Act, Dodd-Frank and state compliance requirements for various funds.
- Represented company in private equity transaction involving $8m in equity and secured debt for expansion.
- Represent company in ongoing private equity transaction for approximately $50 million worth of expansion capital.
- Represent large-scale developer of specialty property in approximately $50 million transaction.
- Act as liaison for several private equity groups identifying projects in Gulf South region
- Corporate, Transactional, & Commercial Law.
- Non-U.S. clients investing in the U.S.
- U.S. clients investing overseas and in foreign markets.
- Venture Capital and Angel Financings in foreign startups.
- Intellectual Property Strategy in Foreign countries, including China.
IPO – Reverse Merger
- Waitr $300M merger into Landcadia Holdings, Inc. in which Waitr becomes the operating public company following merger with Special Purpose Acquisition.
- Numerous reverse merger IPOs and registrations of securities.
Representative Regulation A Transactions
- Undisclosed $40M Tier 2 offering of securities tokens.
- Various Tier 2 and Tier 1 offerings of securities tokens.
Representative Strategic Partnership Matters
- Represent companies in ongoing licensing and other strategic partnership transactions with Facebook, Oculus, Huawei, Asus, Qualcomm, Motorola, ZTE and take active role in setting terms and structure of partnerships.
- Represent companies in strategic deals between platform technology providers and companies in the sample, digital advertising and marketing space.
- Represent companies in joint ventures between content providers and platform software SaaS providers.
Representative Intellectual Property Matters
- Lead counsel to numerous licensees of university patents in various transactions.
- Created industry-leading SaaS agreement for web-based platform for buying and selling sample online.
- Substantial experience negotiating and drafting internet agreements in unique areas without a large precedent base.
- Regularly negotiate patent license agreements between universities and industry.
- Regularly negotiate software and application development agreements between companies and developers.
- Regularly review and negotiate asset purchases involving IP assets owned by internet companies for serial acquirers.
- Lead counsel to a subsidiary of a publicly-traded Korean company in trade secret and intellectual property disputes with competitors and universities.
- Patent counsel to computer vision company..
- Facilitated cross-border investments between Asian and South American investors and U.S. companies.
- U.S. transactional and litigation work for a publicly traded South Korean company operating in the U.S.
- Drafted and negotiated licensing, distribution, and manufacturing contracts between Asian companies and U.S. companies.
- Advised and counseled off-shore entities raising funding in the U.S.
- Represented foreign companies in international arbitrations held in the U.S.
- Represented U.S companies in international settlement negotiations in commercial and trade disputes.
- Advice and counseling on global intellectual property strategy with a focus on Asia.
Additional Press & Media
Politics with a Punch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XxdZtACnos
More to be found at youtube.com/@carastonellp